October 11

Featured Staff Member for today…. Margaret Munson

This week, I will feature staff members and what they are doing in their area of specialty.  Today’s feature is on Mrs Munson, and the terrific work she does working with our students.

“Over the years at Salmon River High, I have relied on a few strategies to help students overcome learning difficulties and sometimes just get through the school day. Learning, at times, is a messy business. From time to time, students become overwhelmed with assignments, papers, and projects. Sometimes, students need a chance to know a few things.  First, it is okay to fail; it is not okay not to try.  A bad grade means you did not quite understand or master the concept.   When you get a chance to look back on the assignment or grade, you can find at least one or two things you did right and build up from there. If you did not try, you have no idea what you could have accomplished.   Second, when learning becomes too much, use the acronym of K-I-S-S- – Keep It Simple Stupid. No, I am not calling anyone stupid. It is a way to combat the negative self-talk and help focus on the process of learning.  It is the process of breaking down the learning into manageable steps.   Kelley Johnson, aircraft engineer, in 1960 created the acronym to remind engineers that systems work best when kept simple instead of complex.  The third strategy is something that I learned from my husband, the man with a list. Make a list when you have many things to do. The act of writing down the assignments and or tasks will help you focus.  Then, it is a matter of completing each task one at time.”

“I hope these simple strategies are helpful to you throughout the school year.”

Margaret Munson

Teacher-Learner

Posted October 11, 2016 by coachfred in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “Featured Staff Member for today…. Margaret Munson